Updated MCO 2.0 SOP (as of 27th Jan)
- All of Peninsular Malaysia
- Sabah (Please refer to Sabah MCO SOP)
- Sarawak (Sibu – Please refer to Sibu MCO SOP)
Effective 22 January 2021 (12.01 am) til 4 February (11.59 pm)
*For Sarawak (Sibu) effective 16 January (12.01 am) until 29 January (11.59 pm)
- Essential services and its chain of activities
- Buying and acquiring essential items and services
- Obtaining health and medical treatment
- Conducting official government and judicial duties
Activities NOT ALLOWED
- Inter-district travel within Movement Control Order (MCO) areas and inter-state travel without permission from the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM)
- Movement into and out of MCO areas without permission from PDRM
- Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within Infected Local Areas) (Movement Control) Regulations 2021
- Subject to the ruling issued by the National Security Council (NSC) and the Ministry of Health (MOH)
- Instruction and rules under the local authority
- Other instructions issued from time to time by the Health Director-General
- PDRM is responsible for exercising control over local infected areas with assistance from the Malaysian Armed Forces (MAF), Civil Defence Force (CDF), and the People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA). Entry and exit routes of MCO areas are closed and controlled by PDRM.
- Residents in the MCO area are NOT ALLOWED to leave their respective homes/residences WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS:
- ONLY TWO (2) people per household are ALLOWED to go out to acquire essential supplies such as food, medicine, dietary supplements and other basic necessities within a 10 km radius of their residence, or to the nearest place if the items are not available within 10 km radius; and
- A maximum of THREE (3) people including the patient are ALLOWED to go out to obtain healthcare or medical servicesThey may only travel within a 10 km radius of their residence, or to the nearest place if the items / service is not available within 10 km radius.
- The movement of private vehicles, Government departments or private companies for the purpose of going to and from work or carrying out official government business depends on the seating capacity of the vehicle.
- Cross-state travel is allowed for long-distance married couples by obtaining PDRM permission.
- Other movements allowed in this SOP.
- Students and candidates sitting for the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) Examination 2020 and 2021, Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM), Sijil Vokasional Malaysia, (SVM) Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM), Sijil Kemahiran Malaysia (SKM), Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM), Pentaksiran Kemasukan Sekolah Khusus for Form 1 and Form 4 and equivalent international examinations are allowed to attend schools across MCO or CMCO or RMCO areas according to the school calendar set by the Ministry of Education Malaysia (MOE) with confirmation documents from MOE and movement to and from school can accompanied by a guardian.
- Matriculation colleges are ALLOWED to operate during the MCO period. Students in boarding schools / universities / institutions are ALLOWED to be at their boarding schools / universities / institutions and continue hybrid learning.
- International examinations and professional bodies, as well as research activities that require laboratory facilities at Institutions of Higher Learning (IPTs) are ALLOWED, in compliance with SOPs of the relevant IPT and movement requires an authorisation letter from the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) or the relevant IPT.
- Movement of lecturers / teachers / instructors involved in providing lessons for the preparation or to conduct an examination is ALLOWED with an authorisation letter from MOE or MOHE.
- Movement for the admission of students to their dormitories for the attendance of examination classes set by the MOE and MOHE are ALLOWED with an authorisation letter from MOE and MOHE.
- Students who need to return to campus must acquire an authorisation letter from their IPT for inter-state or inter-district travel.
- Movement in / out of MCO areas for emergency cases such as deaths is ALLOWED after obtaining permission from PDRM.
- Movement in / out of MCO areas for emergency cases such as natural disasters is ALLOWED.
- The humanitarian disaster relief movement by NGOs requires permission from the State Disaster Management Committee or District Disaster Management Committee in areas affected with disasters and such assistance is channeled through the Disaster Operations Control Center (PKOB) of the affected area.
- State Assemblymen and Members of Parliament are allowed to cross their respective districts and states during the MCO period for the purpose of official business or visiting the area.
- Movement control in / out of Sabah during MCO period is subject to the Sabah State MCO SOP.
- PCA and RGL between Malaysia and Singapore continues based on the existing agreement.
Activities Within MCO Areas
- All activities other than those listed in the Essential Services List are NOT ALLOWED.
- Restaurants, shops / food stalls, food trucks, roadside hawkers, circulating hawkers, food courts / hawker centers, roadside stalls / kiosks are ALLOWED to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Food sales are ONLY ALLOWED via take-away, drive-through, or delivery from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Grocery stores and convenience stores are allowed to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Hospitals, clinics, and medical laboratories are ALLOWED to operate for 24 hours or according to their operating license.
- Pharmacies are ALLOWED to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Daily necessities stores are ALLOWED to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Petrol stations are ALLOWED to operate from 6 am until 10 pm except for petrol stations on highways which can operate for 24 hours.
- Daily markets, farmers markets, public markets, and weekly markets are allowed to operate from 7 am to 2 pm.
- Night markets are allowed to operate from 4 pm to 10 pm.
- Wholesale markets are ALLOWED to operate from 12 am to 6 am and 11 am to 4 pm.
- Pet stores and Veterinary clinics are ALLOWED to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Laundry and eyewear shops are allowed to operate from 6 am to 10 pm.
- Self-service laundromats must ensure that employees are on the premises in compliance with the prescribed SOPs.
Permission To Operate And Travel For Essential Services
- All sectors mentioned in the list of essential services registered with the relevant Ministry / Agency are ALLOWED to operate during the MCO period. Employee movement is subject to registration / operating authorisation letter and employer pass / employer authorisation letter.
- Movement of government employees for official government duties must be accompanied by an employer authorisation letter .
- Staff attendance capacity for essential services must be limited to only staff members who need to be physically present at the workplace to perform their duties. Other types of employees should be able to work from home. (Employers are responsible for categorising their staff to reduce the number of people in the workplace to only those which are necessary).
General Health Protocols
- The owner of the premise ensures control of the entry and exit of customers to the premises with a physical distancing of 1 meter.
- Premises owners are required to provide MySejahtera QR code facilities and provide customer attendance registration books.
- The owner of the premises ensures that customers check in at the premises using MySejahtera or by manually writing their name and phone number as well as scanning their body temperature. Body temperatures of 37.5 degrees Celsius and above are NOT ALLOWED to enter the premises. The owner of the premises must ensure that only customers with Low Risk status in MySejahtera are allowed to enter their respective premises.
- The owner of the premises limits the number of customers in the premises with a physical distancing of a 1 meter radius at a time and displays the maximum number of customers in the premises.
- Employees, suppliers, and customers are required to wear face masks properly according to MOH recommendations while on the premises.
- It is mandatory to wear face mask, especially when in a crowded public place EXCEPT for the following activities and places:
- Own residence and involving members of the same household;
- Private Hotel / Accommodation Room and involves members of the same household;
- Solitary workspace;
- Indoor and Outdoor recreational sports activities;
- Own vehicle and involving members of the same household;
- Public areas and places both indoor and outdoor without any other individuals; and
- When eating and drinking in public places without any other individuals.
Face-to-face meetings of Government and private agencies involving the presence of representatives of external agencies are NOT ALLOWED and must be conducted by video conference.
Relaxed Rules For Recreational Activities
- Jogging is ALLOWED in groups of not exceeding 2 people and within the neighbourhood area
- Cycling in groups is NOT ALLOWED. Only cycling by oneself not more than 10 km from the place of residence is ALLOWED.
- The existing centralized training program is implemented by the National Sports Council and the State Sports Councils can be continued in a “Quarantine Based Approach” as implemented at the Bukit Jalil and Taman Keramat MSN Complexes (K. Lumpur), Paralympic Sports Center of Excellence in Kampung Pandan (K. Lumpur), Malaysian Badminton Academy in Bukit Kiara, National Yacht Training Center in Langkawi (Kedah), Malaysia’s National Velodrome in Nilai (N. Sembilan) and Mokhtar Dahari National Football Academy in Gambang (Pahang).
Childcare Centers, Tabika, Tadika, And Taska
- Childcare centers, taska, tabika, and tadika are ALLOWED to operate with the approval of relevant Ministry / Agency.
- Parents and guardians sending their children to childcare centers in vehicles are allowed to transport the number of child passengers according to the vehicle’s capacity.
- Day care centers for the Disabled (OKU), the Elderly, Women, and Miscellaneous Care Centers are allowed to operate during the MCO period
- Official and Informal Ceremonies of Government and Private Societies, Social events such as wedding ceremonies and engagement ceremonies, aqiqah, doa selamat, tahlil, birthday celebrations, reunions, retreats and other social events are NOT ALLOWED.
- Seminars / Workshops Training Courses Conference Talks and activities related to Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions (MICE) are NOT ALLOWED.
- All sports and leisure activities except the relaxation for jogging and cycling activities as stated in this SOP.
- Sports competition/tournament activities are NOT ALLOWED.
- Tourism activities exiting/entering the MCO area and in EMCO areas are NOT ALLOWED.
Other matters decided by the Government from time-to-time.
List Of Essential Services
(Only 30% of management staff are allowed to be present at the workplace while, the total number of employees present can be set by the employer as long as physical distancing and public health protocols can be implemented at the workplace).
- Aerospace (components and maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO));
- Automotive (vehicle and components);
- Food, beverages, and their chains of economic activities;
- Packaging and printing;
- Household products, personal care items (FMCG – soap, personal cleansers, etc) and cleaning materials and its chain of economic activities;
- Healthcare and medical care products, including dietary supplements;
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) and fire safety equipment;
- Components for medical devices;
- Electrical and electronics goods;
- Oil and Gas;
- Petrochemicals and petrochemical products;
- Chemical products;
- Machines and equipment;
- Ceramics (moulds for the production of hand gloves);
- Iron and steel;
- Textiles (involving the production of PPE only);
- Furniture; and
- Production, distillation, storage, supply, and distribution of fuel and lubricants.
- Critical maintenance and repair work;
- Major public infrastructure construction works; and
- Building construction works that provide complete workers accommodations on construction sites or Centralised Labour Quarters (CLQ).
- Automotive (repair and maintenance);
- Financial services and its chain of economic activities:
- Financial institutions (banking, insurance, takaful, and other institutions licensed, approved, or registered with Bank Negara Malaysia);
- Capital market entities licensed, registered or regulated by Securities Commission Malaysia.
- Municipal council and local government services:
- Pawnbroker / community credit facilities (licensed moneylender companies);
- Solid waste / sewerage management;
- Public cleansing; and
- Cleaning and sanitation of premises.
- Communications including telecommunications and internet, post and courier, and broadcasting;
- Information technology including global business services and call centres;
- E-Commerce and its economic activity chain, including e-marketplace, digital payment and local e-commerce internet center services;
- Digital creative content development in the studio including film editing;
- Hotel and lodging;
- Agricultural, fishery and husbandry (penternakan), including veterinary services:
- Farm management / swiftlet bird nest / horse farm / animal processing plant / slaughterhouse / livestock / livestock food factory / suppliers such as vaccines / livestock management / pet shop management (livestock transfer operations at nighttime);
- Control of diseases and regulation of livestock production, regulation of livestock input and livestock industry related products (including exports and import); and
- Animal health management, disease diagnosis, and medical care.
- Utilities (water and energy);
- Professional (including accountants / lawyers / auditors / engineers / architects), scientific (including R&D) and technical (including maintenance) services;
- Security Services;
- Security and Defense;
- Judicial and legal services;
- Land, water, and air transport;
- Port, dock, and airport services and undertakings, including stevedoring and transferring of cargo, pilotage, storing or bulking commodities.
Supply and Distribution
- Warehousing and Logistics
- Sale / Delivery of food and beverages; and
- Retail / Distribution / Wholesale and its chain of economic activity;
- Shopping complex; supermarket / supermarket; departmental store (only food, daily necessities, baby and toddler needs, medical, electrical equipment and protection related to COVID 19);
- pharmacy / personal care; convenience store / mini mart; laundry (including self-service); restaurant; eyewear shop; telephone shop; furniture store; gold shop; electrical and electronics store; bookstore & stationery; hardware shop; animal food; vehicle workshop, maintenance and spare parts; car distribution and sales center; petrol station and prayer and funeral equipment stores.
- Online shopping is encouraged
Farming and Commodity
- Agriculture, fisheries, and husbandry (penternakan) and its chain of economic activity; and
- Plantations and commodities and its chain of economic activity
- Any service, work, industry, and business as determined by the Health Minister after consulting with the authorities that regulate said service, work, industry, and business.
For more information, you can take a look at the official SOPs on NSC’s website, or check out the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within Infected Local Areas) (Movement Control) Regulations 2021.